Whether you were arrested for or charged with a misdemeanor or a felony criminal offense, it is critical to obtain the legal services of a criminal defense attorney. Not only are you facing jail or prison time and fines, but also a permanent mark on your criminal record that may negatively impact your personal and professional reputation. Having a knowledgeable and skillful attorney on your side gives you an opportunity to either get your entire case dismissed or your charges reduced.
When choosing the best candidate for the job, consider the following factors when making your final decision:
- Experience – The number of years an attorney has been practicing criminal law is significantly important. Ask how much experience the lawyer has defending clients who have been charged with the same crime as you and his or her success rate at trial.
- Practice areas – Not all criminal defense lawyers are created equal. If you were arrested for a DUI, for example, you would want an attorney who specializes in successfully handling drunk driving cases.
- Local reputation – A local attorney has typically developed close relationships with local law enforcement, judges, and prosecutors, giving you an advantage in the courtroom.
- Legal team – In some cases, the main lawyer hands off a client’s case to another attorney in the firm. It is imperative to ask who will be primarily responsible for your case and representing you in the courtroom.
- Costs – You need to know how much you will be paying for your case ahead of time to avoid future disputes. Lawyers either charge an hourly fee or a flat rate.
If you were arrested for a crime in Ohio, contact our Toledo legal team at the Law Office of Lorin Zaner today and request a free consultation today. Get more than 20 years of experience on your side!