So-called "shaken baby" cases have had a lot of publicity in recent years. Many of these cases end in the death of a child from traumatic brain injury. In order to effectively handle this type of case, your Toledo criminal defense lawyer has to be knowledgeable in a number of scientific areas.
- These include, but are certainly not limited to, the following:
- Shaken baby syndrome
- Shaken impact syndrome
- Subdural hematoma
- Retinal hemorrhage
- Biomechanics of injuries
- Re-bleed injuries
Lorin Zaner personally knows a number of the top experts. Our firm has employed the services of a forensic pathologist who had been called the top expert in his field and used the services of neurosurgeons who have conducted highly publicized research in the area. We have the contacts and ability to locate ethical and skilled expert witnesses to assist you in obtaining the most favorable result possible.
Lorin Zaner has attended a conference by the prosecutor's office after his client was found not guilty of manslaughter as a result of an allegation. The prosecutor presented an expert who said that if a child presents with subdural hematomas and retinal hemorrhage without adequate explanation, the child had to be a victim of shaken baby. This is simply not true, as scientific studies have proven. In fact, Lorin provided an article to the expert to show that the expert's opinion was not accurate. The expert wasn't aware of the research and promised to look into it. However, the only way you will be able to overcome the prosecutor's expert is to hire and present your own expert at trial.
- Scientists do not know everything about the brain. Knowledge about brain injuries is continually growing as scientific studies are conducted, which is why:
- It is critical to keep abreast of the research.
- It is critical to know the scientists who are on the cutting edge of the research.
- It is critical to know the scientists and doctors who have the knowledge and courage to testify against the system, (i.e. the prosecution) based on science and not on conjecture.
There is an immense body of research on this subject. Your attorney needs to be familiar with all of the research in order to properly represent you. The defense of these cases is very expensive and experts will need to be hired to explain the science to the jury.
If you face shaken baby allegations, you will need an experienced advocate. Call Lorin J. Zaner today at (419) 741-4050!
Get a Trial-Tested Criminal Defense Attorney
What Makes Our Firm Different?
- Legacy of Client Service Since 1976
- Proven Results In and Out of Court
- Handle Cases in State & Federal Courts
- Centrally Located Toledo, OH Offices
- Highly Recommended by Past Clients
- Free, One-on-One Case Consultation
The Help You Deserve When You Need it Most
"My courtroom experience has provided me the ability to think on my feet and handle any situation that could occur during trial. I approach every case with the attitude that it is going to trial and make the effort to learn the facts, know the law, and decide what is needed to be successful for the client.” – Attorney Lorin Zaner